Monday, December 24, 2007

A Christmas Eve Story

By Lisa Finneran December 24, 2007Jack Chase still tells the story of his wife's Christmas tree."This family came to my door, a young couple, it was their first Christmas, and they didn't have any money," Chase said. "So I gave them our decorated Christmas tree. My wife came home and she thought I had gone too far."That was six years ago.It's just one of the countless things Chase has given away over the years.That's because for many people in need on the Peninsula, Chase is Santa Claus, and has been for more than a decade."There are all these little people out there who need," Chase said. "Some of them are not impoverished by the state standards, but they wouldn't have a Christmas without help."Chase's story actually goes back 46 years, to 1961.When he was a young man living in New Jersey, his father would dress up as Santa, visit with kids and "do the ho-ho-ho," as he calls it. "I still remember the day he said 'Jack, I'm giving this to you.'"In the years since he's been through four Santa suits."I wear them out," he said. "I do so much ho-ho-hoing."At first that was all he did.His life changed in 1966 when two young men on bicycles knocked on his door and gave him The Book of Mormon."I started reading it, and I knew that this was what the Lord wanted me to do," Chase said."I don't know where I'd be if I didn't find the church," said Chase, who went on to serve several assignments as a bishop with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.It was in that capacity about 10 years ago that he served as regional welfare coordinator, and he realized there were people in the church who were in need and people who wanted to give, but it was hard for the two to know about one another. So with permission of the church he began collecting e-mail addresses to pass the word, and the project quickly grew.When he was released from his post with the church — bishops usually serve voluntarily for about five years — Chase continued the mission on his own."I just want to lead a peaceful giving life," he said, adding that as a Mormon he believes that if you love Jesus you should help "feed his children.""I will serve my fellow man," he said. "And that's never led me wrong."Today, the garage of his Farmington home is full of donations: new and used toys, clothes and even a bicycle. Out back is a shed full of food."People bring all kinds of really neat stuff to me," Chase said, pulling out cases of finger puppets, bags of cosmetics and boxes full of children's DVD movies. He only accepts donations of items, and any money he spends comes out of his own pocket.In addition to stuff, people also give him their time. Chase calls them his "elves," the people who come to help sort items, wrap gifts and transport items. So far this year he says about 300 people have helped his operation.It's an operation that continues throughout the year, but is at its most intense at this time of year. Over the years he's received and given away more than a dozen cars. Every Friday morning people line up outside his home to collect the free bread he distributes from his driveway.And this year he says he is bringing Christmas to more than 40 families — at least 10 more than last year. Most are referred to him by area churches.When he gets the call, Chase makes out a slip for the family, listing ages of each member of the family. He includes notes about their clothing sizes and what kinds of things they need. Then he sets out to make it happen.He used to dress up in his Santa suit and deliver all the Christmas donations to needy families, but now he tries to line up others to do as much of the heavy work as possible. And still the work consumes him."It's pretty much all I do."At 67, the retired teacher and business consultant has health issues that make it hard for him to lift heavy boxes and just get around. And he says every year at this time he threatens it will be his last."I'm getting old. I don't know how much longer I can do this," he said. "But don't believe it. I can't not do it. It's such a good spirit thing. I have so much. Life is good. I've been able to touch lives."

0 comments: